I Ran My First 5k!


 Saturday I ran my first 5k and I'm still on cloud nine and completely emotional about it. 

Let's go in reverse here for a little bit. I've been busting my butt the past few months with working out and getting back into running as well. I'm not one of those lucky people where breastfeeding makes them magically drop the pounds and transform into a hot mama. I'm the type where it makes your body hold onto the fat for dear life. What a new experience for me! I've always been very thin, in fact I always had a crazy fast metabolism and had to work hard to maintain a healthy weight. After I had C.orben I lost the weight very quickly once I started eating a healthy diet. I thought that would work after having Quinn as well. I switched to a clean eating diet and good portion sizes, but the last 15 lbs WOULD NOT budge and worst of all my stomach always looked very pregnant. It was so depressing! I cried a lot over how I looked. Finally I had enough and signed up for a gym membership (home workouts do not work for me) and I bought 4 personal training sessions to get me started and to expand my knowledge base.

I met with my trainer once a week and then (and still now) work out 5-6 days a week. I really focus on pushing myself outside of my comfort level. My goal is to not just be a healthy weight, but to be toned. It feels really good to exercise! Not to mention it's a wonderful stress reliever and gives me some alone time away from the house... and by house, I mean the kids, but for some reason I feel like a bad Mom saying that. 

One of my other goals is to get back into running and to become an actual runner. There is a 5k in May that I was planning on working towards and having that be my first 5k. I didn't think I would be ready before then. Until my husband told me about the 5k that I ended up running and we decided to just go for it. I was nervous, especially after an injury (post tibial tendonitis) set my training back, but then I decided to not worry about it and to just have fun. It would be great to do well, but if I ended up having to walk it, no big deal. I just wanted to enter and have a good time. 

Well folks, it was exhilarating! What an amazing feeling! I ran the entire 5k and finished in 30 minutes. Getting around all of the people walking slowed me down quite a bit in the beginning, but that's okay because my goal was to finish in 30 minutes and that's what I did. Crossing the finish line was completely emotional and I'll admit without shame that I cried. To finish this goal was just.... WOW! I am so thankful to God for enabling me to complete this goal. I really felt Him there with me. 

Now I can't wait to reach my weight loss goal (7 more lbs to go!) and to reach my fitness goal of being toned. I'm excited to do more races and to watch my running ability get better and better. I don't know if anything will top the feeling of completing this first 5k though. I'm so dang proud of myself!


 

5 comments:

Brittney said...

You should be very proud of yourself!!! Way to go! That's so awesome that you completed a 5k - I know that can't have been easy. You sound like a terrific Mama and I think it's 100% okay to take time for yourself, esp. when it comes to your health:) GREAT job!

Jennifer said...

Thanks Brittney!!!!

Miz Flow said...

What!!? Girl that's amazing! I'm sooo proud of you!!!!!!!
xoxoxoxo

Rob & Lindsey said...

That is awesome!! Congrats! I just bought some running shoes today. I used to run and have run some half marathons, but haven't done anything for at least 3 years. After having 3 babies in the last 2 years, I haven't done too much. I'm sure I can't even run a mile. But you just inspired me and helped me remember how great it feels to run and finish a race! Thanks! I'm excited to get back into to something that is for me:). Again, Congrats! and thanks for the motivation! Your kids are super adorable, btw!:)

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer,

I found your blog and think it is an incredible resource for women suffering from endometriosis.

I want to reach out and introduce myself. My name is Becky and I am the Outreach Coordinator for Womens Wellness Publishing.

I want to let you know that our lead author, Susan Lark, M.D. has just written a fantastic new book on endometriosis, Dr. Susan’s Solutions: Heal Endometriosis. http://amzn.to/14yeSct

Her new endometriosis book is an incredibly helpful guide to healing from endometriosis and restoring your hormonal health and balance.

In the book, she shares her all natural treatment program that has helped thousands of her patients eliminate endometriosis pain, cramping, heavy bleeding, infertility and other symptoms.

Most of her patients have been able to avoid surgical treatments, including hysterectomy, as well as avoid the use of toxic drugs and hormones, like Lupron, with her all natural treatment program.

A little about Dr. Lark: She is one of the foremost experts in the field of alternative medicine for women. Dr. Lark received her medical degree from Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine, and has served on the clinical faculty of Stanford University Medical School. She has been the director of a number of women's health clinics and health projects.

Dr. Lark also posts wonderful health features for women on our Womens Wellness Facebook page and she has many devoted fans. http://on.fb.me/19MEZAC

Dr. Susan's Solutions: Heal Endometriosis has wonderful information on the most effective nutritional supplements, enzymes, herbs, delicious meal plans and recipes, stress reduction exercises, breathing exercises, yoga stretches and many other alternative medical therapies that she has utilized in her healing program. These effective therapies have enabled her endometriosis patients to recover and enjoy symptom free lives!

Her book also has great information on endometriosis symptoms, the latest medical diagnostic techniques and the pros and cons of medical treatments like drugs and surgery. It is an all around great book and we really look forward to sharing it with you.

We'd love to have Dr. Susan's new endometriosis book be featured in your blog. We would be happy to send you excerpts from this book and provide any additional support that you would like.

I look forward to hearing from you! I can be reached at my email address, wwp.wellness@gmail.com

Best regards,

Becky

p.s. Dr. Susan's books are available through Amazon, Kindle, Barnes & Noble and iTunes

Amazon: http://amzn.to/13EC6bP
Amazon Kindle: http://amzn.to/17mCVbg
Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/15aHA2O
iTunes: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Blog: http://drsusansolutions.wordpress.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/womenswellness/