Here I go again!
Okay, I know that I'm putting the cart before the horse because I haven't gotten complete confirmation that we're going to be doing an IUI (the doc just said that is most likely what we'll be doing), but I like to know everything as soon as possible and I like to over think and over worry. So this post if for the ladies that have done everything before me... What do you think of IUI's? What was the experience like for you? What can I expect? What's the prep and procedure like? I know my doctor will explain all of this when we get to it, but I would like to here it from you guys.
6 comments:
I've done one IUI and the whole time I was doing IVF I would look back to my IUI days and think "WOW...that was really EASY compared to THIS!!!"
Are you doing injectibles or taking clomid? I had to take clomid and that was totally fine..just a little pill. Then they checked my follicles periodically...good 'ol internal sono.
Then when they were ready...I had to do the trigger shot. That was my first shot ever and I CRIED and CRIED because my mom lives on the other side of the country...and my husband had to be at work the time I had to give it.
Now I think to myself...you were such a pansy...one little shot!! :o) But it is VERY scary your first time!! I'm not sure you get used to them...even with IVF!! But don't worry...you'll do it...and you'll get through it...and it'll be worth it in the end!!!
Then I went in and DH did his thing...then we ate out while we waited for the washing part. When it was time we went in, and pretty much its like have a pap smear...and you just lay there for a bit.
Not much to it!! You'll be fine!!!
The only thing I'm a little concerned about for you (being a fellow endo gal) is my new doc (who recommended IVF the first time...didn't want to do any IUIs) said that every time they stimulate my ovaries (through clomid or whatever) that its just making my endo WORSE...so doing something like an IUI...which has a lower success rate than something like IVF...would end up messing up my insides even more. Especially if they have to do it more than once. (which isn't always necessary!! I don't want to be like the "bearer of bad news" or be negative!! I just want to let you know what I've been told!)
I understand that IVF is really expensive so this is definitely a less invasive, less expensive option!!! But if he prescribes clomid for you...maybe get another opinion?? I dunno...because my new doc said that clomid is just going to waste your time...(I produced one egg the first time...and none to even talk about the second time...even though I was told that I ovulate on my own)
Sorry this is such a LOOOONG comment!!! :o) Like I said...this is what I've been told...so look into it some more for yourself! Whatever you feel the most comfortable with...and whatever God is telling you to do...LISTEN to that!! He is the miracle worker and none of us would get preggo without His hand in it...no matter what we do!!!
Let me know if you have any other questions!!!!
sweatpeanme has a good point about stims and endo. I've never done either IUI or IVF, but that's because I only have one ovary left and am terrified of losing it to another endometrioma (I've already had a giant one removed from that side). There is a clinic in our area that does natural cycle ivf - no drugs - assuming that you do ovulate on your own. Maybe that would be worth looking into? The price here was the same as IUI for us, so we are definitely keeping that option open.
When was your surgery?
I just found your blog and I just want to say that I am really enjoying it. I have not yet had an IUI, we are currently saving like mad for one (no insurance) and would love to hear how it goes for you! Good luck with everything!
Sara,
Thank you so much :). I'll definitely let you know how everything goes. I hope that you're able to do it soon as well.
Jennifer--Did I miss the blog post where you had surgery to excise your endo? I can't find your em address to em you! ;)
Post a Comment