In regards to parenting there are several things I've said that I'd never do, and for the most part I've stuck to them, however I've also learned that sometimes the "I'll never"'s need to go right out the window in order to preserve sanity.
One of mine was "I'll never let Corbe.n watch T.V. until he's much older". Then we went to visit his Momo (my MIL) and she was playing Yo Gabba Gabba for my nephew. Corb.en's little face lit up and he was immediately so into that show, laughing, and dancing all over the place. It made my husband and I so happy to see him so full of joy. Momo got him a Yo Gabba Gabba DVD set and now we let him watch it about once a week. I honestly don't feel bad about it, even though the characters are totally weird, because they teach some really good lessons and I've yet to see him so in to something.
My 2nd "I'll never" to go out the window was "I'll never let Corb.en use my phone for entertainment". I was too worried about the radiation and I just don't want him dependent on electronics for entertainment. Well, now we've moved and we're only an hour from family. We are lucky enough to make trips often to see them, but they aren't always pleasant drives with a toddler. I just remembered about the Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Apptivity Case. It's a case that you can put your iPhone in that protects it from drool and other nastiness, prevents the home button from being pressed, and gives your child a large area to grasp and hold. We scooped one up immediately and the only thing I have to say is hello happy road-trips! I call this thing "The Lifesaver"! We downloaded episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba and on our last trip to visit family Corb.en was quiet and happy the entire drive. It was SOOOOO wonderful. I do feel a small pang of guilt, but the happiness I felt from a peaceful drive overshadows that.
| Hello Friend! |
1 comment:
Yeah I'm right there with you !
I said I would NEVER let my baby watch tv.. Umm now all I hear is
"Elmo !" Yeah.. He watches it probably once a day.. Or more.. Haha
And my phone is his by far FAVORITE
Toy.. I had to get a replacement
Cause he broke my last one. Haha
Post a Comment