35 Weeks

Only 3 weeks & 5 days left! Assuming labor doesn't start on it's own, which I am hoping and praying that it will. The plan is to start stripping my membranes (doesn't that sound so lovely) at 37 weeks. Sweeping membranes releases prostaglandins, which can signal to the body to go into labor. Here's the catch... I have to have some dilation going on to do that. At my appointment on Monday I had nothing going on. Nothing! BOOHOO! Obviously that can change at any moment. I'll also start pumping for nipple stimulation around the same time frame. Nipple stimulation releases oxytocin, which just like pitocin, can cause contractions. 

Normally I wouldn't bother trying to naturally induce labor (it'll happen when it happens), but as you may remember, due to lupus I have to deliver by 39 weeks on the dot. The reasoning for this is that lupus loves to attack the placenta and it's extremely common for the placenta to no longer function after 39 weeks with lupus patients and this is very dangerous (obviously) for the baby. This is what happened with my pregnancy with Corben. If I don't deliver on my own by 39 weeks then I'll be admitted to the hospital, they will break my water, and I then have 12 hours to go into labor on my own. If not, then it's a repeat c-section for me. I am absolutely terrified to have another c-section and I would also really like to experience a vaginal birth.  

I'm feeling pretty good for this stage of pregnancy. Of course it's getting harder to stand or walk for prolonged periods of time and I am much more fatigued now, but that's all par for the course. I've noticed some increased swelling in my hands, feet, and face, but that's probably because water suddenly sounds unappealing to me and I haven't been drinking even close to the amount I'm supposed to. Oooh, but what is super appealing to me is fruit. I could pretty much eat grapes or fruit salad all day long if I didn't restrain myself. I crave fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, and pineapple) covered in whipped cream sooo bad. I save it for a special treat every now and then because I don't think TONS of fruit and whipped cream is a good thing and I don't think our grocery budget appreciates me buying fruit every day. Here's some food porn of my craving. YUM! I want some NOW!

I wasn't lying when I said I like it covered in whipped cream.

See there is in fact fruit under all that cream.

Sooo good!

Anyways, back to the pregnancy.... Some days the braxton hicks are pretty intense and on top of each other, but surprisingly no where near where they were with Corbe.n. Thank God! I'm getting NST's once a week, seeing my high risk ob once a week, and seeing the perinatalogist every four weeks. I see the peri again on Monday and I'm sure I'll probably be seen weekly from here on out. I just know I'm so excited for that appointment. Getting to see Quinn on ultrasound and get a growth estimate is awesome!

I've decided to not weigh myself anymore because it doesn't serve any good purpose. I don't even look at the scale at the doctor's office. I'm eating well and I'm just going to gain what my body needs. Last week was the last time I weighed myself and I was up 29lbs. I suspect I haven't really gained much, if any, since then.

Horrible picture and lighting, but I didn't feel like trying for a better one. Oh well, haha.


 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You look GREAT and that fruit salad looks delicious!