I'm Feeling Really Down...
I'm feeling really down about not producing enough milk. They said that my milk supply was likely slow because of the medications that I received during my c-section, but that's been over 2 weeks ago now and my supply still isn't up to snuff. I understand that it's good that I'm even producing any and formula isn't the worst thing in the world, but I'm feeling really down that I'm not producing enough to solely feed my son. I really don't like giving him formula and when I pump and see that I don't have enough it breaks my heart. I hate it when I nurse him and then he cries a short while later because he's still hungry. Before I had him I had planned on breast feeding AND formula feeding due to having Lupus. It isn't recommended to breastfeed because it could cause a flare. I thought that I would be okay with this decision, but my feelings completely changed once I had him. I have a deep desire to provide everything that he needs. I'm embarrassed that I am not enough for him. I feel inadequate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Aww, honey. You're doing your best. Have you talked to your doctor to see if there's anything you can do {or take} to try and increase your supply?
Hopefully things will get better soon. If you haven't already, maybe try pumping between feedings to stimulate more milk production?
Can I give suggestions? I had an over supply issue...I pumped non stop...after feedings inbetween feedings and would even wake up and pump...Eat oatmeal...DRINK A TON OF WATER...Try heating your breasts with a heating pad...massage them.
Even when you pump and you see the milk stop its still there the pump cant pull all the milk out only your baby can...even if he crys and you think he has emptied your breast he has not...do 15 minutes on each side...every 2 hours...trust me on the every 2 hours...I had 3 months of breast milk in the freezer before he was 6 months old...he stopped breastfeeding from me when he was 9 months cause he wanted it cold from the fridge...I continued to pump and he got breast milk to the day he was 1.
Ask your dr. there is herb drugs you can take that are safe to take that can help.
Hope things look better but the first 3 weeks are always hard...oh what pump do you have that can make a difference.
~Jenn
Thanks Jess & Jenn for the kind words and suggestions. I will definitely try your recommendations and I pray that they will help. Jenn, I rented a pump from the hospital. It's an Ameda Elite.
I knoe nothing abuot Ameda...I lived and had a love affair with my Medela...the one where the pump comes out of the bag and is not attached...I think it's called metro? And I also had a Avent IQ pump that I used at work.
Let me do some research for you about the Ameda Elite and Ill get back to you!
I second the water uptake. I also noticed once I started eating more, my supply went up too. Hang in there Mama. This mothering thing is super hard :) You are doing a great job!
Post a Comment