My husband Jonathan and I met through my cousin, Chris; they were both in the Navy together. Actually, he knew who I was way before I even knew he existed. During this time I was living in Houston, TX & he was living in San Diego, CA. He went with my cousin to my mom's house for dinner and he saw my picture on the wall. He immediately thought I was cute and asked Chris about me. Finding out that I lived so far away, he forgot about me... but as fate would have it I ended up moving to San Diego about a year later and got an apartment with my sister. My sister and Jonathan were also friends and she called and invited him over to go out with us one night. We had an instant connection and were pretty much joined at the hip after that. However, having recently gotten out of a bad relationship I didn't think that I wanted to date anyone at that time, so instead we forged a strong friendship (which I'm so thankful for). The first time he asked me to kiss him (why do guys do that?) I told him no. But with his typical charm he wore me down (hahaha just kidding babe) and I told him "okay we can date, but you're not my boyfriend", about a week later I said "okay, you can be my boyfriend, but there's no way I'm getting married", okay I'm lying it was really the next day.... and a year later we got married. I think I was just playing hard to get, but wasn't very good at it because from the start I definitely had strong feelings for him. I thought he was the kindest, most amazing man that I had ever met. He was so thoughtful, romantic, sweet, loyal, intelligent, and incredibly sexy. Not to be cheesy, but he was everything that I ever wanted and everything that I never knew existed. Well, not just "was", but still is. I thank God for him every single day.
Both Jonathan and I love children and have always had a strong desire to be parents. I've wanted to be a mother as long as I can remember and never thought that it would be an issue. Immediately upon getting married we started trying to get pregnant. We both thought for sure that it would happen our first month of trying. I mean, geez, how many people out there go to desperate measures to NOT get pregnant and still end up doing it anways! A few months went by and we didn't think too much of it... it was just going to take a little longer than we thought or maybe we weren't doing it right, ha! I researched online the best methods and times to conceive and I started monitoring my cycles and my ovulation. It still didn't happen! I thought that maybe it was stress. We were having work and financial issues at the time and it caused a lot of pressure, so we just kept trying and waiting it out.
At about the year to year and a half mark we finally went and talked to my OB/GYN. I was also having some odd lower abdominal pain, so she decided to do a laparoscopy to see if something was going on. She found endometriosis, burned it off, and told me that my fertility would now be increased by about 20%. Normally what would have happened after that is I would be put on Lupron (an injection that puts you in temporary menopause to kill off the endometriosis) and then after that Clomid (a super-ovulation pill) for two months. However, my husband was about to leave to go out to sea for a few months, so she wanted to give me a chance to get pregnant before he left and so I took Clomid for a month. Unfortunately I didn't get pregnant :(. After he got back I did another round of Clomid and that still didn't work.
I went and talked to my doctor again and she said that it's best to do Clomid for two consecutive months and to give that a try. Of course my husband went out to sea again (I have a love-hate relationship with the military at this point) and I had to put it off for another two months and then I had surgery for a deviated septum, which you can not be pregnant for.
Around this time my endometriosis symptoms got worse and my OB/GYN decided the best course of treatment would be to do monthly injections of Lupron in combination with Norethindrone Acetate for about two months. She told me that it's the "golden ticket" for getting pregnant when you have endometriosis. After that I will do the two rounds of Clomid. Deciding to go ahead with the Lupron was a very difficult decision for me. At this point we have been trying to get pregnant for almost 2 years, every period is a heartache, every ovulation cycle I'm thinking "is this it, is it finally going to be our chance to be parents", every time I hear that someone else is pregnant it is depressing (of course I'm happy for them, but it still hurts that it's not me), and every month of having to put off trying to conceive is devastating. Plus, I know that some people get some pretty miserable side effects while on Lupron. On the flip side I was also questioning what my chances were of getting pregnant with out it. I was given the choice either Lupron or a birth control pill and between the two I want to go with the "golden ticket". Sooooo..... Jonathan and I have decided to go ahead with Lupron.
No comments:
Post a Comment