So That's How it Happens
I've really taken it to heart to cherish my children's childhoods after a bigillion parents of grown children have told me, while wearing a kicked puppy dog expression, to enjoy my children because they grow up way too fast. I now watch C.orben for signs of this horrible growing up thing much as a terminal cancer patient watches for signs of "the end". That sounds dramatic, but it's true... I'm already mourning my son growing up. Even with tantrums or his inability to be reasoned with at times, I absolutely love the age that he's at right now. I love it when he nonsensically jabbers away. I love the funny way he runs. I love that he finds joy in the small things like a walk to the mailbox. I love that he needs for his daddy to put on a show with his sesame street dolls before he goes to sleep. I love that he still needs me to hold his hand before he steps off of a steep curb. I love that right now mommy and daddy are his only source of comfort. There is no other comparable feeling of joy in my heart as to what I feel when he says "hold me mama".
So with all of this in mind, I've been wondering how will it happen... How will my sweet little boy turn into a 'big boy', a tween, a teen, and then a grown man who doesn't need his mommy anymore? Will it happen gradually? Will it happen overnight? I've learned that the answer is both. While he hasn't yet sprouted a beard or asked me for my car keys, he's doing more and saying more every single day. What has me most taken aback and causes me to feel a mixture of pride and panic is that he spells. He spells every word he sees... 'Dell' from my computer, 'Opposites' off of the cover of one of his books, etc. Most shocking though was when I was sitting at the table talking with my husband over smoothies and Corb.en completely spelled out "Starbucks Coffee" from the side of my reusable cup. Our jaws hit the floor. Yesterday he started saying "hypothesis". I have a little boy who spells and says things like hypothesis. My sweet little boy is growing up.
2 comments:
Oh can I ever relate! *Tear* Raising children is so bittersweet, isn't it?!
You sound like such a wonderful Mama though, cherishing every moment with your son. Sounds like he is growing into a wonderful, well-rounded and smart little boy.
Thanks Brittney!
Post a Comment