I just got a call from my OB/GYN's office. The good news is that I can take more fiorecet than I thought I could and once I get the headaches under control they are going to be much easier to manage. The bad news, well not so much bad news, but the tough news is that I have some big decisions to make, which is not fun for me because I'm a libra and making big decisions makes me very nervous.
So here's everything that was discussed and I'm warning you that it's probably going to come out as a big rambling mess because I just found all of this out and I'm still trying to process it myself. The nurse was calling me back with some questions that I had for my doctor. First off... I was unclear on how long I actually need to take Lupron for, how long it would take me to get my cycle back, and how soon I could start trying to get pregnant. My doctor said that ideally Lupron is taken for 6 months, but she knows that I don't want to take it for that long, so she wants me to do it for possibly 3 months. She has me on the month-to-month injection so that she can monitor my symptoms and I can decide when I want to stop. I'm really hoping to not do it any longer than 2 months. From what I've read the longer you take it the longer it takes for your cycle to come back. I really just want a baby right now and having to wait even 2 months to try is just tortuous. I know it's necessary, but it's seriously so difficult. She said that after my last Lupron injection it stays in my system for 30 days and then after that it would probably take 4-6 weeks for my cycle to come back and at that time I could start Clomid and trying to get pregnant. I had no idea it was going to take this long!
Here's the kicker, in 10 days I'm suppose to have surgery (laparoscopic nissen fundoplication) on a hiatal hernia I have. It's done laparoscopically, but it's still a major surgery. My doctor is concerned that if I got pregnant right after this surgery that I could tear the hernia repair, which is dangerous and would require a second, more difficult surgery. She says that there is a 50% chance I would ruin the repair and that she won't prescribe Clomid until 3 months has passed since my hernia repair. I don't know what to do! Getting pregnant is the most important thing to me right now. I think and dream about it constantly. My symptoms with the hernia are bad and certainly annoying. I'm sick of taking Nexium and other meds like it with out complete relief and I know that getting pregnant will make my heartburn worse, but I'm not so completely miserable to the point that I think "I HAVE to have this surgery right now". I have my pre-op appointment on the 13th and Jonathan and I are going to talk to my surgeon and see what he says about how bad off I really am and if I can wait for the surgery. On another point, with the Lupron and waiting for my cycle to return I wouldn't be waiting that much longer. Ugghhh, I just don't know what to do. Is it even safe for me to have this surgery if I plan on becoming pregnant at any point? I don't want just one baby.
Another thing I was given to think about is being seen at a specialty clinic. My doctor says that this place specializes in treating women with endometriosis and could offer me more treatment options that she can as a general OB/GYN. I really like my doctor, she is very intellegent, very good, and really lets me maintain the control in my healthcare. I'm sure we have all been to those doctors that are so cocky and don't want to listen to you or let you have any say in what is happening to your body. She's not like that at all and is so beautiful and soothing. Plus I question what more this other clinic could really do for me. The hubster and I need to really think about it, give it up to God and see what path He wants us to take, and we need to research this clinic and see what they're all about. Ugh, decisions, decisions, decisions. I'm just going to keep my thoughts firmly planted on the little baby I've created in my imagination. It makes everything seem so worth it.
4 comments:
lupron is really not good for women, google lupron victims, lupron side effects
you need the opinion of an endo expert, they can do free records reviews, or for low cost, it is so worth it to talk to the doctor
most ob/gyns or re's do not know how to remove endo in all locations, stages, etc
many women conceive after excision surgery, also adding progesterone can help, diet can help
nfp / napro docs can help women chart, test hormones and supplement with progesterone, i have not had a headache since using progesterone
centerforendo.com
naprotechnology.com
endometriosissurgeon.com
endoexcision.com
endo-resolved.com
erc.activboard.org/ google it if it doesn't come up
johnleemd.com
omsoul.com
fertilitycare.org
endometriosis.org/nutrition
makingbabies.com
dian s mills book on endo is great, so is marilyn shannon's book on fertility and nutrition, 4th edition on amazon now
google TTC prometrium or TTC progesterone
lots of women have nice ob/gyns, that does not mean they have the skill of an endo expert
please please please only go to one of the top 5 - 10 endo docs, and be sure to do a lot of research
in the beginning this is hard to understand, but it's similar to cancer, sadly - most ob/gyns are there to deliver babies not treat a complicated, deep disease like endo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
been there, done that - had a nice ob/gyn, but the more i talked to endo experts, the more i realized how little docs know, and a good one will nudge you in the direction of a a real endo excision expert, and not one who lasers the endo off on the top, leaving the root to cause more problems!!!
Deirdre,
Thank you so much for all of the advice. I definitely want to do what's best for myself and what will help me to have a baby. I'm going to go talk to the doctor at this specialty clinic (I've researched them and they are at the top of the field) and see what treatment plan they would recommend for me and if it's anything that I agree with.
Thanks again for your advice. It's nice to know that there is a community of women willing to help and support me.
Wow, Jennifer, you have been through so much. Like you, I have been trying to do a lot of research to help make a smart (and extremely difficult) decision about how to move forward with the endo and have a baby. I pray the Lupron experience is not hard on you and you have a BFP to share this fall/winter!
PS> I was surprised (& jealous!!!) to see that your doc agreed to let you do Lupron for less than 6 mths. Mine will not. She says it takes 6 mths to be effective. She won't let me do any 'add-back therapy' either. 2 more reasons why I'm so hesitant to do the Lupron. Also, I think I read somewhere that Clomid is bad for women with endo because it increases the amount of estrogen your body makes (and we know estrogen is what the endo feeds off of).
OH, I DON'T KNOW! It's all so overwhelming!!!
Again, I wish you nothing but the best!!!
Post a Comment