Backing Up Your Blog

Here's how you can back up your blog and save your precious memories! Keep in mind that this is just one way and I'll get to some other ideas at the end.

{click on pictures to enlarge}

1. From your dashboard click on "settings".

You should be on the "basic" tab, but if not click on that. Right up top under "blog tools" you will see: import blog, export blog, and delete blog. Click on "export blog". Don't worry... this will not delete your blog or take it off of your dashboard.

Click on "download blog".

Then select "save" and save your blog. I don't know how your system works or if there is another way (I'm not the most computer savvy person out there), but I then went to my downloads folder, right clicked on my downloaded blog and selected "send to": then selected "shortcut on desktop" and then copied and pasted my downloaded blog to my desired file.

This saves all of the TEXT of your blog and not your pictures. For back up purposes I also created a document and saved the html codes for my customized blog settings and the code for my layout. Then for extra security I also created a wordpress account and imported my blog there. What's great about that is every time I make a new post it automatically imports it to wordpress as well. Some other options that you have are to save everything to an external hard drive or to pay to save your blog with an outside data storage company. The only thing with that is if something happens to their systems your information is gone.

I hope that this helps and provides you with an additional sense of security. I definitely had a week of panic when my blog disappeared. The thought of all of my memories and written thoughts being gone made me truly sad.


No comments: