First off, let me backtrack a little. When C was born we had to take him to a cardiologist just to make sure that he didn't have a heart block due to me having lupus. That checked out okay, but they found that he has a PFO and an atrial wall defect. To explain the PFO... every single human is born with an opening between their atrium and it normally closes right after birth. With C they found that his opening hadn't closed and that below that he also has a small hole in his heart. It isn't immediately a big deal and they said to just keep an eye on him and follow up at 6 months.
We went back to the cardiologist on Monday and I was fully expecting to get another ultrasound and to hear that everything was healed. The good news is that he isn't showing any signs of a heart problem; he's growing VERY well, doesn't have any shortness of breath, and hasn't had frequent respiratory illnesses. Due to the fact that he isn't having any complications they elected to NOT do another ultrasound at this time. They said that if the defects were still there they wouldn't even do anything about them until he is 3 years old, so there is no point in even checking it out. I'm happy that he appears to be fine, but I was really looking forward to hearing and seeing that everything had healed and to put this chapter behind us. Now it will be looming over me until he's 3. I will just take this as a great opportunity to practice my faith in the Lord.
The cardiologist did also notice something on his own that I had also taken note of. When C goes to try to sit up from a laying down position he gets a large bulge in his abdomen, midline between his ribs and belly button. The cardiologist said that it was a hernia.On Wednesday we went to his pediatrician for his WCC. I brought up the hernia and she referred us out to get evaluated by a surgeon, whom we saw yesterday.The great news is that it isn't a true epigastric hernia and won't require surgery. THANK YOU LORD! I was about to break down just at the thought of him needing surgery. He has what's called a Diastasis Recti. It means that his abdominal muscles are separated. The surgeon says that they will close on their own in about a year. It's still possible that he could have a small hernia as well, which would become apparent once his muscles close together, but for right now it looks like everything is great. Hernias do run in both sides of the family (I've had 2 different types), so I know they're not a huge deal, but I would really like for C to not have to deal with it.
Another "issue" is that his head circumference is growing at a fast rate, so we have to go back in a month to get it checked again and make sure he doesn't have hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain). His doctor isn't too concerned because his head is growing in proportion with his body, his head isn't misshapen and isn't growing at an alarming rate. It's just better to be safe than sorry.
Geez, with these 3 things it sounds like Cor.ben is sickly, but he's really a very healthy and happy baby. So, on to the joyful stuff. He's 21.5 lbs and 27 inches. His two bottom teeth should poke through any day (according to his doc) and his gums are swollen around his two top teeth. He's developing wonderfully. He rolls like a pro and loves to roll to get to his toys, dog, or to get into things. He is getting ready to crawl and can get up on all fours and hold it for a few seconds. He wants to move sooooo badly. He has 24 oz per day and eats solids 2-3 times a day. With his reflux he can't tolerate eating fruit, but his pediatrician said that nutritionally he doesn't need it right now and we can try again in a few months. His sleep schedule is still the same with him going to bed around 7 pm, waking up at 7:30-8:00 am to have a bottle, and then goes back to sleep until around 9:30 am. He's such a joy and so much fun. Oh! It's so crazy and cute, but he absolutely loves girl babies... well he loves all babies, but he is so different with the girls. He rolls over to them, strokes their hair and holds their hand (no joke!) and he loves to cuddle them and try to suck on their cheeks (whoa there little man, lol).
I can't wait for my husband to come home so that we can be a true family and do things with the 3 of us. I miss him so much and it's really hard on him being away from his son.
Picture time!

The other day I left him on the floor and went in my room to grab something and I was gone for literally a few seconds. I came back to find C where I had left him, but facing the other direction. He also had some packaging that I needed to throw away from his Beaba stuff. The little sneaky boy had rolled over to the bag on the floor, grabbed something, and then rolled back over to where I had put him! HAHA! It's like he was thinking, "If I'm not right by the bag she won't think I did anything".
Last night I went to check on him and found him sleeping like this. I don't know why, but I think it's so funny!
His 1st time trying a sippy cup. He isn't quite sure what to do with it yet.
Stay tuned for my next post because I have something really cute to show you!
1 comment:
What a relief to hear that he is healthy! He is such a cutie and it sounds like he has such an adorable personality already! That picture of him sleeping is funny! They do the cutest stuff at this age..Im loving it!
Post a Comment