2 Weeks Old

Quinn is 2 weeks old already! However, it seems like she's always been here. Even though I'm exhausted, and taking care of two kids at once can be stressful at times, I'm so unbelievably happy.

At least things are improving in the sleep department. I was so scared when she was first born because, I kid you not, her first two nights she did not sleep at all. I'm not exaggerating either. Once we got home things got a little better, but not much. She constantly wanted to suck on something and since I wanted to wait until at least 2 weeks before introducing a pacifier for fear of messing up anything while we were establishing breastfeeding, that made me her human pacifier. Minutes after I would take her off she would wake up and cry again. I was exhausted. The husband was exhausted. I discussed it with her doctor during her 1st pedi appointment and her doctor said that because my milk had already come in it was fine to give Quinn a paci now. I'm not sure how that logic makes any sort of sense, but I enthusiastically went with it. I needed some sleep and my nipples needed a break from the constant assault. We now have ourselves a much happier baby on a much better sleep schedule. Of course we still have the occasional night where she wants to eat every hour, but that's to be expected and at least she's going back to sleep after she eats.

She had her 2nd pedi appointment today and Quinn got nothing but good marks. She was born at 7 lbs 2 oz, left the hospital at 6 lbs 11 oz, was 6 lbs 13 oz at 4 days old, and today was 7 lbs 6 oz. She's also grown 1/2 inch in length. It feels so good to know that she's thriving and growing with my breast milk. After my breastfeeding struggle with Corbe.n and all of the guilt and feelings of failure I had with him, I went into this pregnancy with a lot of anxiety over if I would be able to succeed at breastfeeding Quinn. I'm so happy that things are going well. Quinn is just such a great nurser. She latched right on when she was born and hasn't looked back since. I don't know all of the answers as to why things are different this time, but I definitely think that me being able to nurse her within the first 30 minutes of birth made a huge difference. With C.orben I didn't get to until he was a few hours old. They told me that he was so hungry as soon as he was born. I wish in recognizing this they would have brought him to me. Okay, okay... enough wallowing in regret.

Quinn is such a sweet and mellow baby. So far she only cries when she's hungry or wants to be picked up, just like how Cor.ben was. However, I think I may finally have my snuggler because she loves to be held. Not in a bad way... she'll let you put her down, but is so happy and content when you're loving on her. I know you may be thinking "umm duh, isn't that all babies?", but my husband and I joke that C.orben would cry to be set down. He did not like being held. I hate comparing the two all the time, but I guess you can't really avoid that. It's fun seeing their similarities and differences. I look forward to seeing what things Quinn is into and how her sense of humor is compared to C's. He is a funny little boy!

Speaking of C.orben, he is absolutely obsessed with his sister. He loves to kiss her and hold her. He loves to get her diapers for me or to try to put her paci in her mouth. She isn't safe unsupervised around him. He will reach in her crib to try to pull her out! When he doesn't know where she is he says "baby? baby?". It's so sweet! I'm happy that he's reacted so positively to having a new sister.

So that's life right now. It's busy. It's crazy. I'm in love!






 

5 comments:

KC said...

You have beautiful children!!! Looking at your pictures makes me want a girl.....lol. It is funny because Quinn was our number one baby name but when we found out were having boys I just couldn't shake the idea that it was a girl's name. That's why we went for Fynn instead.

Unknown said...

She is soooo beautiful! I just want to squeeze her! And wow, look at Cor.ben! He's so big and handsome!!!! Enjoy this time, you know how fast it goes!

Jennifer said...

Thanks ladies!

KC- I know what you mean about finding Quinn to be a feminine name. When we originally thought we were having a boy my husband still wanted to name the baby Quinn. It took a lot of convincing to get me to agree. Luckily I don't have to worry about it! I think Fynn is a great name too.

Marjorie- Oh yes we know how fast it goes. Can you believe our babies are about to be 2?! I might have an emotional breakdown.

Demetrius' mommy. said...

Aww ! Haven't been around for a while but I am catching up !
Quinn is beautiful and c.orben is so adorable! Glad breastfeeding is going well for you and Quinn ,It can be hard at times but it gets Easier..
Well congrats! :)

Jennifer said...

Emily, how are you doing? I miss seeing your blog. Demetrius turns 2 in a few days!!