Is my boy really a boy?

Is my boy really a boy? I'm doubting things now. This is why the logical side of me told me not to get an early prediction, but the emotional side of me wanted to experience this with my husband since he's unable to come to my anatomy scan on the 18th. Either way it was an awesome experience and seeing my baby was amazing!

I just want to be able to accurately prepare and when they said the baby was a boy it just didn't feel right and the nub they were claiming was a penis didn't look like what I remember from Co.rben. Instead of popping up from the side view it was oblong and parallel with the spine. I remember from THIS website that in early predictions boy's nubs are at an angle of 30* and girls are parallel. I also read that nubs can be present in boys and girls until 17 weeks. 

Here are my "boy" shots from my ultrasound:



Here's some info for the previous mentioned website:


Male gender
Male 11weeks

With the male fetus, the genital tubercle usually
creates an angle of greater than 30° with the lower
part of the spine.

Male 11 weeks

Male 12 weeks

Female gender
Female 11weeks

In the female fetuses, the genital tubercle protrudes
in the same direction as the lower portion of the spine
with an angle of less than 30° relative to the backbone.

Female 11 weeks

Female 12 weeks

So, now I'm not feeling so confident in the gender prediction. We'll see what they say on the 18th!

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Just my two cents...I'm assuming that you saw an experienced sonographer. That being said, mistakes are made.

And just another thought...I had to have multiple sonos at a perinatologist b/c of my results from my triple marker with Luke (he ended up fine...no Down Syndrome...not that it would have mattered), but ANYWAY, my point is that at 16 weeks our perinatologist...a specialist in utero issues...would NOT give us a guess on the gender. We absolutely had to wait until our 18-week anatomy scan.

I'd either boy pink and blue stuff...or hold off for just a couple more weeks! ;)

Valerie said...

How funny...I meant to type "buy" and typed "boy"...hmmmm.... :)

Kristin said...

Mine will absolutely do no gender guesses until 18w+. Hmmm...you were only 15w? I would be unsure too. When is your next appt? I think it's probably a boy because I don't see the distinctive three lines of labia but you know I'm not a sonographer so I guess you'll find out soon! I so think you made the right choice by going elective so your husband could be with you to see the baby at this stage. I would have done the same! There is a board at babycenter that is only u/s gender guesses- you should google that and submit the photos.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for your input guys. My u/s wasn't done at my doctor's office, but at one of those special places. They had good reviews, but I don't know about the details of my specific sonographer. I was surprised that so many places will do gender determinations starting at 15 weeks, but decided to go with it anyways. My anatomy scan is on the 18th of this month, so not too much longer to wait.

Kristin, the 3 white lines you're referring to are visible from the "potty shot", not the side view. I did actually see 3 white lines, but she said they were farther back then what would be seen in a girl. See nothing was cut and dry with this u/s. UGH! Oh well, just a little bit longer and I guess anticipation keeps things exciting.

Unknown said...

I'm staying team pink for now!